Abraham-Louis Breguet leaves his home in Neuchâtel as a teenager, and heads for Versailles and Paris for a watchmaking apprenticeship. In 1775, he opens his workshop in the Ile de la Cité in Paris, with the help of Abbot Joseph-François Marie, who takes him under his wings and introduces young Breguet to the French Court. French aristocracy quickly become Breguet’s clientele. Forced to leave France during the dark hours of the Revolution, he returns in 1795 to rebuild his business.
It is a changed France that Abraham-Louis Breguet discovers when he returns to Paris after the French Revolution. He develops his foreign clientele and it is in Russia where he is the most successful. He opens an establishment in Saint Petersburg in 1808 which he is forced to close three years later when the Tsar Alexander I forbids the entry of French products on Russian ground, as a response to the politics of Napoleon.
The only son of the founder, Antoine-Louis Breguet, takes over the company in 1824. Having been immersed in watchmaking since his earliest childhood, he pursues the work of his famous father. It is his son, Louis-Clément, who breathes a new dynamism into Breguet, understanding that watchmaking is from that point on spread through all social classes. He decides to extend his activities by diversifying, particularly in physic instruments.
The posterity of Abraham-Louis Breguet loses more and more of its interest in watchmaking in favor of other sectors like electricity or, later on, aviation. Louis-Clément, representing the third generation, sells the watchmaking branch in 1870 to the head of the workshop, Edward Brown. The Brown family, aware of the historical importance of Breguet and of the patrimony it is representing, will lead the House for the next century.
Breguet changes hands another time in 1970 to the Chaumet brothers, inheritors of the Parisian jewelry House. Then, in 1987, the House is bought by Investcorp. The favorable context allows Breguet another evolution. The production is now made in the Vallée de Joux in Switzerland and it is also the emergence of new markets in Asia and North America.
The year 1999 is the symbol of a new start for Breguet which joined the Swatch Group. Under the drive of CEO Nicolas G. Hayek, the House finds again its radiance and its prestige thanks to important human talent and financial investments. After his passing, it is his grandson Marc A. Hayek who takes helm of the crown jewel of the Swiss watchmaking over.
Breguet is a luxury Swiss watch company founded in 1775 by Abraham-Louis Breguet, who is widely considered to be one of the greatest watchmakers in history. The company is known for its high-end timepieces, which are often made with precious materials such as gold, platinum, and diamonds. Breguet is based in the village of L’Abbaye, in Switzerland and has a long history of innovation and craftsmanship. The company has been responsible for several important advancements in the field of watchmaking, including the development of the tourbillon, a mechanism that helps to improve the accuracy of mechanical watches. Breguet watches are highly prized by collectors and are considered to be among the finest watches available.
Abraham-Louis Breguet establishes the company in Paris, France.
Breguet invents the "perpétuelle," the first self-winding watch, which he presents to the French Academy of Sciences.
Breguet receives a patent for the first wristwatch, which he presents to Caroline Murat, Queen of Naples.
Breguet becomes the official watchmaker to the French Royal Navy.
Breguet invents the first "tourbillon," a device that compensates for the effect of gravity on a watch's accuracy.
The Swatch Group acquires Breguet and begins producing the brand's watches in Switzerland.
Breguet is considered one of the most prestigious and respected watch brands in the world, known for its high-end, finely crafted timepieces.
🇨🇦 Swatch Group Canada Ltd.
555 Richmond Street West Suite 1105 M5V 3B1
Tel: + 1 416 703 1667
1239 Rue de la Montagne H3G 172
Tel: + 1 514 447 3074
Vancouver (Time & Gold)
565 W. Georgia St. V6B 1Z5
Tel: + 1 604 683 1812
You can also get in touch with an authorized retailers